Sunday, November 9, 2008

missed a couple days

Oops, so I missed a couple days there. Sorry. It was mostly spent recovering from being sick. Nothing exciting.

This afternoon, though, was spent dealing with the last of the apples we bought at a local orchard a few weeks back. We bought three boxes, and apparently I didn't realize how many apples that is. I have made and canned so much applesauce in the last couple weeks I think we will be eating it forever. I bake with it as an alternative to oil, though, and it makes a great healthy snack eaten plain so I am hoping we go through it all before this time next year. I also froze some apple slices to try to use in pies and other baked things. I have never frozen apple slices before, and I hope they do ok. I am glad to have all those apples out of the way. I was starting to worry I would never get anything done with them. Here are some photos of the process.








I really got on a kick this year of buying local foods in season and preserving them in some way to use all winter. It was a great concept, and I will do it again, but we have so much frozen and canned food! I had never done that before, though, and just didn't know what quantities to get. So, I need to figure out what to do with all of it. I'm sure I will find something yummy.

Landon went to bed early and I have a craft to-do list about a mile long that needs some work, so I'm off to play with my sewing machine to make newborn pants. I will post photos when they are all done.

No comments: