Friday, May 29, 2009

First X-rays

We had a bit of a crazy afternoon.  After lunch, we were playing outside and Landon was pretending to mow the lawn with his little plastic lawn mower.  He was pretending to pull a cord to start it and all of a sudden he kind of grabbed at his shoulder and started to cry.  I thought for a second that he had gotten a bee sting, and then thought that maybe he had pulled a muscle in his shoulder or something, and then I thought maybe he had dislocated it.  I checked out the area but didn't find anything.  He stopped crying quickly and went back to playing.  

Later, I picked him up (to remove him from pushing his brother "real high" in the baby swing) and he kind of collapsed in my hands, grabbing at his shoulder and screaming in pain.  Again, I checked the shoulder area, but this time I moved the search to a wider area.  I realized he had a largish bump on his collarbone and when I prodded at it a bit his crying started up again.  I asked him if that's what hurt and he said yes.  So, I called my father-in-law and told him about it, and he agreed with me that his collarbone was probably broken.  EEK!  He rushed over here while I called the pediatrician to ask if I could please bring him in right away.  

We drove down to the hospital (my ped is in the Sacred Heart Doctors Building), saw the pediatrician, and he sent us down to the radiology clinic for X-rays.  Landon did so well through all this.  He even stood still for the X-rays.  Luckily, they didn't see a break on the X-rays, but we are still waiting for the radiologist to really look at them.  After looking at the X-rays, my pediatrician thinks that maybe Landon dislocated his elbow somehow and then it popped back in immediately, but things were still sore from it.  I don't see how that fits in with the shoulder area pain and then bump on the collarbone, but I'm not a doctor either.  So, we are keeping an eye on it just in case.  

It was a stressful afternoon with all that going on, but Landon seems to be doing ok now.  I really hope nothing is wrong, but a part of me feels like we are totally missing something.  I just can't figure out what.  

1 comment:

Little NutMeg Productions said...

Oh I so feel your apprehension, we've been for x-rays twice now and they suck everytime. I hope he's totally fine! xo Meghan