Sunday, March 1, 2009

great expectations

I was talking with some moms a couple weeks ago about the expectations we have to let go of when we become mothers.  We also have to let go of some of our expectations along the way as well.  I had this huge expectation, created early in motherhood, that I would nurse my kids until they were completely done and stopped of their own free will.  It was a great idea and I really believe in the value of that for many families.  But, in reality, for me at least, it wasn't working out so well.  So, I decided to wean Landon.  It took a lot of thinking, talking, and crying about it, but I decided (with the encouragement of my loving husband) to just do it.  The nursing relationship was not good any more between me and Landon, and weaning was something that would be healthier for both of us.  Today is the first day I have told him he can't nurse anymore, and so far it is going well.  I am not looking forward to bedtime when he usually really wants to nurse, but I think we will survive.  And I hope instead of really screwing up my kid, this will be a good thing for both of us.  

No comments: