Thursday, February 23, 2012

Handwriting

I have waited with much anticipation for Landon to learn to read and write. He loves stories, so I know he will love to read once it finally makes sense to him. As an avid reader growing up, I know how wonderful getting lost in a good book can be, and I want that so badly for my boys.

In school, they learn a letter a week, and he is starting to put them together and recognize them and ask me how things are spelled. So when it came time to do Valentines for his classmates, Landon was eager to write all the names and sign them himself. He worked diligently on them for a couple mornings and was so proud to take them to school and hand them out to his friends. I didn't get any pictures of the ones for his class, but I did manage to get a shot of the one he made for the dog, complete with a portrait of Jasper.
I am charmed by this child's handwriting, especially the backward letters that crop up here and there. I love to see him work so hard on writing something, and the pride on his face when he shows off the finished product.

And then it got even better when he opened up the cards from his classmates, and almost every one was handwritten in similar shaky letters, carefully printed, and handed out, I'm sure, with much excitement and pride.


It's things like these that help me realized how blessed I am to be observing my children on this journey of theirs. What an amazing world is opening up to them every day!

1 comment:

Abby said...

Isn't it the best feeling to watch those developmental milestones as they occur? I've gotten to experience it with other people's kids as a teacher, but to watch Hudson figure out new things just speaks to a special place in my heart.